Ten observations from Week #2…
– While the Bills were “better” on Sunday, they still committed 7 penalties for 55 yards. Again, add in the yards lost on offense and this number goes through the roof. Add in that penalties cost Buffalo two possessions, and this makes you want to scream, not shout.
– Mario Williams played his best game as a Bill. He played fast and furious all game. Mario was truly super in this game. 4 ½ sacks is a Buffalo Bills record for a single game.
– EJ Manuel arrived, but only after a very poor start. Manuel looked eradicate early on, and his timing was off most of the game. He was playing against a very good defense, and recovered to lead the Bills to victory. The final drive will be one all of us will remember.
– The final pass by EJ Manuel was much harder than the final result. EJ had pressure coming right at him immediately. He made the throw with a hand in his face, and Stevie Johnson not open yet. He trusted his read and delivered the ball perfectly. Johnson broke wide open and made the game winning catch.
– Leodis McKelvin continues to impress. He played another strong game against the Panthers. He is making strong breaks on balls, and knocking them down. He is hitting very hard. A cornerback duo of Gilmore and McKelvin looks very good right now.
– The Bills defense, down two pro bowl caliber players, is looking very good. Against the run, Buffalo is much improved. The secondary has been holding its own. Jairus Byrd needs to stop pouting and get back on the field, but even without him in the lineup this defensive squad is playing at a much higher level.
– That being said, Carolina ran the ball down Buffalo’s throat on their final drive. The Bills are very lucky Ron Rivera decided against going for a forth and 1 conversion that would have sealed the game. I have no idea why you don’t run Cam Newton there.
– Dan Carpenter may have been the unsung hero for Buffalo yesterday. After missing his first kick, Carpenter hit field goals of 55, 20, and 48 yards. In addition, his extra point won the game.
– Buffalo’s #16 draft pick just beat the 2011 first overall pick. Hopefully it was worth the wait.